Thursday, January 28, 2010

New old stuff

Got this guy in the mail today. I never really cared for the American version of the Power Rangers, but I always dug the villains-- Goldar in particular. I missed out on getting a figure of him back in the day, because Power Rangers stuff was rare, rare, rare in these parts. I snagged this goon on eBay for 4 bucks, which is honestly a great deal-- most times the big vinyls go for a good chunk more than that.



He's an 8-inch-tall, rotocast vinyl figure, and he's made from some pretty dense vinyl. The quality on these Bandai vinyl figures is always top notch. He's pretty darn well-sculpted with a considerable amount of detail work for what was essentially a toy from a kid's show. He has cut joints at the shoulders, waist, and hips, so he's pretty nicely poseable.



The paint has held up pretty well considering that the toy was a kid's toy and that it's over 17 years old. I'm going to need to touch it up a bit, but that's part of the fun.




I had no idea just how huge this guy is until I had him next to some of my other figures-- he's an impressive addition to my kaiju collection!



Not too shabby for 4 bucks, huh?



Now... in addition to that I'm posting pics of this big sucker: the 13 inch tall rotocast vinyl Hulk figure from the first movie (you know... the one that sucked). Bad movie/great toy! I picked this dude up in 2003 when I was still in college (ZOUNDS!). They had just put them out on the shelves at Walmart, and these bad boys only cost 10 bucks. 13 inches of nicely articulated vinyl Hulk. WITH PANTS!!! Not too shabby!



There were two different versions: one with a slightly annoyed expression and one that looked like he was about to rape an elephant. I snapped up this one because I liked the face sculpt better. There's something powerful about the facial sculpt that says "calm before the storm." It's like potential energy as opposed to the other one that looks like an enraged wrestler who just realized someone peed in his beer.



When I say that this sucker is huge, I mean HUGE. He stands 13 inches tall and he's just about as wide as he is tall! He has 3 ball joints-- something that more rotovinyl toy makers need to explore-- which give him an impressive range of motion. His shoulders and ribcage areball-jointed, and he has cut joints in the neck, biceps, wrists, waist, hips, knees, and ankles. He looks great standing in his standard pose, but he can take on a nice amount of dynamic poses due to the clever articulation.



It's a really nice figure with some delightfully intricate sculptural details. If you ever see one at a good price, I'd say "snag it!" It looks really good on a shelf, and it's a lot of fun to goof around with.

No comments: